CANTON, Ill. — Authorities say one person was killed and several people injured in a natural gas explosion in the central Illinois community of Canton.
Officials say the explosion Wednesday evening occurred near the downtown square and damaged several buildings. Authorities say the cause of the explosion hasn’t been determined.
Canton, with a population of about 14,000, is about 30 miles southwest of Peoria.
Authorities say 11 victims were taken to Graham Hospital in Canton. Fulton County Coroner Steve Hines said one of the victims – an employee of Ameren Illinois, a gas and electric company – later died at the hospital. One victim was taken to OSF Saint Francis Medical Center in Peoria with non-life threatening injuries.
The Fulton County Emergency Services and Disaster Agency reported that the multiple buildings had been damaged and that large amounts of debris were scattered around the Canton square.
Onlookers reported that Canton’s historic Opera House had been leveled by the blast.
“We have structural engineers in the area checking area buildings. This is a very slow and methodical process. They are working hard and as fast as possible,” the agency said in a statement shortly after 9:30 p.m.
The agency has advised residents to avoid the area around the square. Displaced residents were being directed to a Salvation Army facility.
With elections due across Europe and a referendum in Italy, the establishment fears political tremors
Dogged by the migration crisis and the traumatic business of Brexit – to name just two current, existential challenges to their project – those who run the European Union felt they had enough on their plates before Donald Trump seized the White House.
News of his triumph broke on Europe, as had that of the British vote to leave the European Union on 23 June, in defiance of opinion pollsters and the assumptions of political elites that maintained that the world’s most advanced democracy could never deliver such a blow to the established order. Then it did.
Malcolm Turnbull announces one-off agreement for refugees on Manus Island and Nauru to be resettled in US under auspices of the UNHCR
The Australian government has announced a landmark “one-off” resettlement deal to the United States for some refugees held at Australia’s remote offshore detention facilities on Nauru and Manus Island.
On Sunday the prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, and the immigration minister, Peter Dutton, announced a deal that would prioritise families, women and children for settlement with “the prospect” that some others of the 1,616 people found to be refugees so far in offshore detention would be resettled in the US.
A look at Twitter also reveals a catalog of racist and sexist abuse against Miller, whose legal action thwarted the UK government’s plans to trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty — starting the formal process of Britain leaving the European Union — without a vote in Parliament.
Miller, an investment banker who was born in Guyana but has lived in the UK for 41 years, told BBC Radio 5 live she planned to report the trolls to police, and that others had already done so.
Hundreds of thousands of people took to the central Seoul on Saturday to attend the latest massive rally to demand President Park Geun-hye’s resignation over the growing scandal involving her close confidante.
Police expected about abour 220,000 people joined the candlelight rally at the public square near Seoul City Hall, while organizers forecast up to 1 million people turned out. It is expected to be the largest rally to be held in South Korea this century to date.
French President Francois Hollande said on Friday he hoped U.S. President-elect Donald Trump would clarify his position on issues including conflicts in Syria and Ukraine and Iran’s nuclear deal when the two men talk by phone later in the day.
“My duty is to make sure we have the best possible relations with the United States, but a relation that is based on frankness and clarity,” Hollande told France 2 television.
President-elect fires back on Twitter as protesters hit streets again in many major cities
PORTLAND, Ore. — Another round of protests over Donald Trump’s election hit many major cities across the country Thursday during the day and at night and, while most were peaceful, at least one turned violent and was officially dubbed a riot.
The president-elect fired back on Twitter after demonstrators in both red and blue states hit the streets again to express outrage over his unexpected win.
Trump tweeted Thursday night, “Just had a very open and successful presidential election. Now professional protesters, incited by the media, are protesting. Very unfair!”
The latest demonstrations occurred from Portland, Oregon, to Chicago, to New York and parts in between. Many drew several hundred people but some drew thousands.