I am going to postpone the codeathon at OSCON in Portland and instead do a codeathon during the supercomputing conference in Austin Nov 15-21 (not sure of exact dates yet but will solidify in the next 2 weeks.
Several reasons I moved it.
1) It is in Austin
- this means free food and drinks (cause I know tons of people in town)
- I already have a core group of volunteers from previous events (that will dress as superheros for me J)
- I have Doryan (my primo event manager)
- I know the possible locations and can get them inexpensively!!! <- this is a MAJOR reason
2) Not enough time
- Because of fundraising snafus’ I was running late on getting this organized
- Most companies have a 90 day approval process for fundraising
- I want people to fly in and now they have enough time to arrange things w work
3) Still tied to a nifty Conference – Super Computing
- Will bring in some truly awesome NPO projects directly related to HPC
- Have some larger players that I hope will be willing to donate serious cash
- This is a crowd that knows transparent legislation is possible and can be eventual!
- Will have more creditability w those large projects
- Get some recognition w larger foundations
The parts that make me sad:
1) Not tied to OSCON – This is huge issue for me and was almost a killer of the event for me
- I wanted it to be in the hearts and minds of all the OS programmers in the world
- I will miss out on some truly great OS programming teams
- I love OReilly (not Tim -you perv- the COMPANY)
2) Perhaps less blogger traffic since not part of OSCON anymore
- Up to you and me to generate more!!!
3) No FLOSS luminaries
4) Not in Portland – and there were some truly awesome people that were going to help me throw it there!
- No Dawn Foster
- No John Mark
- No Corprew
- No Selena
5) Though I sincerely hope that everyone can travel to it!
6) I am still going to OSCON and will be promoting the codeathon like a mad woman
I plan on EVERYTHING being solidified by OSCON on this one. The only real work is getting on everyone’s schedules. I am planning on this being a huge event for LoTV.
I also have to send a very tough personal email to OReilly. I’m probably going to commit to doing a codeathon NEXT yr at OSCON with more OReilly support... I am hoping.
Needless to say this was a tough personal decision but one I felt I had to make.